Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions

Below are some commonly asked questions. If your question isn’t listed, please contact our Enrolments Team.

  • Program Requirements

    • What is a Block Course?

      Block Courses are an opportunity for networking, teaching and learning. They are conducted by NZTC lecturers, and focus on topics relevant to the field of early childhood education. Students enrolled in the Blended Learning mode for qualifications with Field Practice courses will be required to attend Block Courses.

    • What is a home centre?

      A home centre is a licensed early childhood education centre where students enrolled in the blended learning mode are required to undertake field experience. This can be paid or voluntary and must be undertaken for a minimum of 16 hours per week throughout the course of the program. Applicants must have a home centre confirmed before commencing their program.

    • What is an Associate Teacher?

      An Associate Teacher is a person in an early childhood centre who provides support and guidance for students during Field Experience and Field Practice. Associate Teachers are required to hold teacher registration with a full and current practicing certificate.

    • What is the difference between Field Experience and Field Practice?

      Field Experience refers to the 16 hours per week work experience (paid or voluntary) that students must complete as part of a Blended Learning program.

      Field Practicerefers to the practical course components that students must complete at certain points in their program. For each Field Practice placement, students are required to attend an approved, licensed centre for 20 days. Field Practice is conducted in both the home centre, where students undertake their Field Experience, and in an out of home centre, which is an external centre.

    • How are the courses assessed?

      All courses are internally assessed and include theory based assessments and practical components. There are no exams.

    • I have studied previously. Is there a possibility of cross-crediting into an NZTC program?

      Yes. Credit towards your chosen program at NZTC for courses which you have already studied at other tertiary providers, is assessed by NZTC’s Credit Recognition and Transfer (CRT) assessment.

      Credit is assessed on a case-by-case basis. If you wish to apply for credit you will be required to pay a $95.00 application fee. This fee covers the cost involved in the assessment process of CRT. Students will be required to pay the fee prior to their CRT assessment and interview with NZTC.

    • Are there set study times during the week?

      NZTC has a unique learning environment that allows students to access resources and course content from anywhere at any time, providing you with greater flexibility. Undergraduate programs are considered full-time and all courses and assessments must be completed within the given time frames.

    • What support will I receive once I become a student?

      Once you become a student at NZTC you will have access to a range of support services including pastoral, academic skills, IT and Māori and Pasifika.

    • What if I need to take a break from studies?

      Students who are enrolled in study may request to withdraw temporarily. Requests are made through our Pastoral Support Team.

  • English Language Criteria

    • Do I need to complete an English language test?

      All domestic applicants must meet the English language competency requirements for the particular program they are applying for. All applicants must meet the English language competency requirements according to Rule 18 of the New Zealand Qualifications Authority’s Programme Approval and Accreditation Rules 2021. For Initial Teacher Education programs and pathways into the programs, applicants must meet The Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand English language competency requirements.

    • Which English Language Proficiency tests are accepted?

      NZQA and the Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand approve a number of tests to assess English language competency. These include, but are not limited to, International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic and Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic.

    • What test scores do I need to achieve for entry into teaching programs?

      The below offers information on approved test outcomes.

      New Zealand Diploma in Early Childhood Education Level 5:

      • IELTS (Academic) - Overall score: 5.5 ; A minimum band score: 5.0
      • PTE (Academic) - Overall score: 42 ; A minimum band score: 36
      • LanguageCert - B2 Communicator IESOL: HIGH PASS with no less than 25/50 in Listening, Reading and Writing and PASS in Spoken.


      New Zealand Diploma in Early Childhood Education Level 6:

      • IELTS (Academic) - Overall score: 6.0 ; A minimum band score: 5.5
      • PTE (Academic) - Overall score: 50 ; A minimum band score: 42
      • LanguageCert - C1 Expert IEOSL: PASS with no less than 25/50 in Listening, Reading and Writing and PASS in Spoken.


      Bachelor of Teaching (ECE) and Graduate Diploma in Teaching (ECE):

      • IELTS (Academic) - Overall score: 7.0 ; A minimum band score: 7.0
      • PTE (Academic) - Overall score: 65 ; A minimum band score: 65
      • LanguageCert - C1 Expert IESOL: no less than 35/50 in each skill ; C2 Mastery IEOSL: no less than 25/50 in each skill
  • Financial Support

    • Is there any financial support available?

      If you are a full-time New Zealand citizen or permanent resident studying in New Zealand, you may be eligible for a student loan or allowance through StudyLink to help with your compulsory fees, course related costs and living costs. The student allowance is a weekly payment for full-time students to help with day-to-day living costs. For more information see the StudyLink website -

    • What scholarship opportunities are available?

      New Zealand Tertiary College students may be eligible to apply for the following scholarship opportunities:

      • NZTC Scholarships

        We have a number of scholarships available for domestic students. Please visit our Scholarships page for current opportunities or contact our Enrolments Team for further information.

      • TeachNZ Teacher Recruitment Scholarships:

        bTeachNZ Teacher Recruitment Scholarships (Early Childhood Education) have been introduced for qualifications leading to New Zealand teacher registration to increase the number of teachers in the early childhood sector. An early childhood education scholarship pays course fees and, for full-time students only, the scholarship pays an allowance of up to $10,000 over the period of study. For more information see the TeachNZ website -

      • Ministry of Education:

        ECE Service Teacher Education Grants (ECESTEG) are intended to support teacher-led services to assist staff members to gain their first Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand approved early childhood teacher qualification that leads to teacher registration. Application forms are sent to all teacher-led services and are also available on the Ministry of Education website

      • International Scholarships:

        New Zealand Tertiary College offers a limited set of scholarships for international students. For more information please contact

    • Will I receive a refund if I cancel my enrolment?

      New Zealand Tertiary College's refund policy complies with the Education and Training Act 2020. Refer to our Student Withdrawal and Refund Policies on the fees pages of the qualifications.

    • Are my tuition fees safe?

      In the unlikely event that New Zealand Tertiary College is unable to deliver the program you have enrolled in, New Zealand Tertiary College has protected your fees with Public Trust. Fees deposited and protected by the Public Trust are held in the Common fund which has an unsecured guarantee from the New Zealand Government. The student fee protection for New Zealand Tertiary College is fully compliant with NZQA rules. Should access to your fees be necessary, you may contact Public Trust on 0800 494 733 or email

      This arrangement has been accepted by NZQA as meeting the requirements of the Education and Training Act 2020 and the Student Fee Protection Rules 2021.

    • Can I pay for my studies after I start?

      If you are not using a loan company to subsidise your study, it will be your responsibility to make payment prior to commencing your first course. Once you have accepted your place, you will be invoiced and required to pay your fees. When we have received your fees, you will be issued with a Student Acknowledgement Form which you will need to sign, initial on each page and send back. You will not be able to start your program until this form has been returned.

    • When do I need to apply for my StudyLink loan?

      We highly recommend applying for your student loan during the application process with NZTC. Once you receive your Offer of Place and your invoice, you will need to provide this evidence to the loan company. If you apply for your Student Loan too late, this may delay your start date.

  • Programs

    • Are NZTC programs internationally recognised?

      NZTC Early Childhood Education programs are approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) and listed on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF). Qualifications listed on the NZQF come with an assurance of quality and are recognised and trusted worldwide.

    • How do I become an early childhood teacher in New Zealand?

      To become a qualified registered early childhood teacher in New Zealand you must reach the requirements set out by Teaching Council Aotearoa New Zealand to receive Teacher Registration. Whilst it is not always necessary to have Teacher Registration to gain employment within an early childhood setting, it is desirable. NZ Teacher Registration requires you to meet specific standards such as proving you are of good character, achieving a relevant qualification, and completing practical experience under the guidance of an experienced and fully registered teacher.

    • What teaching qualifications can lead to New Zealand Teacher Registration?

      New Zealand Tertiary College offers two qualifications, which once completed, graduates can apply for NZ Teacher Registration and Provisional Certification. The first being the Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood Education), this is a three year, Level 7 undergraduate qualification with a strong practical component throughout the period of study. The second program, Graduate Diploma in Teaching (Early Childhood Education), allows existing degree graduates from any discipline to study for 1.33 years to gain specialist knowledge in early childhood education and graduate with the ability to apply for NZ Teacher Registration.

    • What is the difference between the Bachelor of Teaching (ECE) and Bachelor of Education (ECE)?

      The Bachelor of Teaching (ECE) has practical components and upon completion graduates are eligible to apply for New Zealand teacher registration. The Bachelor of Education (ECE) does not have any practical requirements and does not lead to New Zealand teacher registration.

    • What is the difference between the Graduate Diploma in Teaching (ECE) and the Postgraduate Diploma in Education (ECE)?

      The Graduate Diploma in Teaching (Early Childhood Education) is a Level 7 qualification approved by the Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand. It is an initial teacher education program that involves practical and theoretical components and graduates are eligible to apply for NZ Teacher Registration.

      The Postgraduate Diploma in Education (Early Childhood Education) is a Level 8 qualification where graduates have the opportunity to enhance their leadership and research skills. This qualification does not lead to NZ Teacher registration but can pathway to our Master’s qualifications.

    • What is the difference between the Master of Early Childhood Education and the Master of Education (ECE)?

      The Master of Education (ECE) is a two year research-based Master’s whereas the Master of Early Childhood Education is an 18 month qualification completed through coursework.

    • I do not meet the entry requirements for the Bachelor of Teaching (ECE) which leads to NZ Teacher Registration. Is there another qualification that I can study to begin progressing towards NZ Teacher Registration?

      New Zealand Tertiary College delivers the New Zealand Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care Level 5 and New Zealand Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care Level 6 as qualifications that pathway into the Bachelor of Teaching (ECE). The Bachelor of Teaching (ECE) enables students to apply for NZ Teacher Registration on completion.

      Please contact our Enrolments Team to discuss your study options.

    • Do I have to study the New Zealand Diploma in Early Childhood and Care (Level 5) and the New Zealand Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care (Level 6) in order to do the Bachelor of Teaching?

      Completion of the New Zealand Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care Level 5 and New Zealand Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care Level 6 is an option if you do not meet the entry criteria for the Bachelor of Teaching (ECE). Entry criteria for our programs can be found here.

      Please contact our Enrolments Team to discuss your study options.

  • Application Process

    • Am I an international or domestic student in New Zealand

      You are considered a domestic student if you reside within New Zealand and are either a New Zealand or Australian citizen, or you hold a New Zealand residence class or Australian permanent resident visa. If you are not a domestic student, you can study with us as an international student.

    • How do I apply?

      Simply click the Apply Now button at the top of this webpage, register and follow the prompts within our dedicated application system NZTCapply.

    • When should I apply to study?

      We recommend submitting an application via NZTCapply at least two months in advance of your preferred start date. Applicants are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the entry requirements of their chosen program, prior to applying.

    • I’ve just submitted an application via NZTCapply, what happens next?

      If you have recently submitted an application to study, we look forward to supporting you. The Enrolments Team will email you a Student Identification number and a list of documentation that is required, to support your application. On occasion you may be required to provide further documentation, which could result in longer processing times.

    • How long does the application process take?

      There are a number of factors which determine our application processing times and NZTC can only offer guidelines around this. It is common for external factors such as interviews, NZ Police vetting and StudyLink to contribute to extended timeframes. We encourage applicants to be mindful of this when selecting preferred start dates.

    • Can I take photos of my documents with my smartphone and email them to you?

      NZTC accepts documents that have either been scanned or photographed using a smartphone. Please ensure these are high quality images or you may be requested to re-submit them. Alternatively, you can download an application on your phone which enables you to scan the documents as PDF files, using your smartphone.

    • How do I verify my documents?

      During the application process you may be required to provide verified copies of documentation. Approved people in NZ to verify documents include the following; Justice of the Peace, Public Trust, a Solicitor/Barrister, Court/Deputy Registrar, a Notary Public of New Zealand or a Member of Parliament.

    • How long do I have to wait to receive my Offer of Place?

      Each program has different entry criteria on which you will be assessed. An Offer of Place can only be issued once these requirements have been satisfied.

    • Will there be an interview as part of the application process?

      For entry into our Blended Learning programs, it is likely that you will be invited to an online interview as part of the application process. This may include online literacy and numeracy testing and will take place towards the end of the application, prior to an Offer of Place being made.

    • Will there be any testing as part of the application process into our programs?

      Applicants who don’t meet literacy and numeracy requirements may need to complete testing as part of the application process. The Enrolments Team will be able to offer advice around this.

    • What is the best way to contact NZTC while my application is still processing?

      The Enrolments Team are happy to take your email and phone enquiries, where email is the preferred means of communication.

  • English Language Criteria


    • Cookie ice cream


    • Biscuit chupa chups tart


    • Chocolate tart macaroon


    • Lollipop liquorice